Saturday, August 15, 2009

Work In Progress


Digger, originally uploaded by Dave Gorman.

I'm really enjoying my time in Porthcawl. It's exactly what I wanted it to be.

Doing gigs around town helps me to build up material and I've collected a lot of elements that I know work. Doing a few hour long sets has helped me stitch some of it together - in my memory as much as anything else - but it's only when you come to put it together as a full show that it starts to really take shape.

The point of this trip to Porthcawl - and next week's three day stint in Andover - is to have a sort of show bootcamp. To do the whole thing one night, then spend the next day refining it and see what effect the changes have on it that night and so on.

The first night went well. There were obvious flaws in it, some lulls and some bits misfiring - but the strengths outweighed the weaknesses. The important thing is that I knew after night one that the ingredients were all in place, I just needed to improve the recipe. I spent yesterday going through some notes with a friend and making chops and changes that I implemented last night. Every single alteration improved the end result which is hugely satisfying. No matter what you do for a living seeing the fruits of your labour is always satisfying.

There are more tweaks to make - there will always be more tweaks to make - and there are still a few moments where my memory fails me which is inevitable with a brand new show but it's snapped together a bit quicker than I thought it would and that's left me in a very upbeat mood. (I hope I don't end up eating these words at tonight's show.)

For me, this stage of the process is pretty much the most exciting. By the time you get to the biggest live gigs you've generally pretty much nailed the show... but it's at this stage - when you suddenly discover that changing the order of two routines makes them both funnier or that by cutting a joke out you can double the strength of the next laugh - that the work is most rewarding. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy this.

Having a great time at the seaside. Wish you were here.

D x

PS: there's a nice article about the tour in The Times.

6 comments:

Emma said...

Ah, lovely. Really looking forward to seeing the show.

And since I'm seeing it quite early on in the run, you should still be able to stand as well. Added bonus.

Andrew said...

Hi Dave.

Saw you tonight (Sat) in Porthcawl and really enjoyed. Good luck for with the next warm-ups and the tour proper!

Andrew.

Richard Mayneord said...

Glad to hear it's all coming together nicely. Look forward to seeing you in Swindon soon.

Take it easy,

Rich

Anonymous said...

any joy with the ardlui/inverarnan gig yet?

Dave Gorman said...

@Anonymous: I think it's sorted. I guess I'll find out for sure when I get there.

Anonymous said...

any idea when venue/ticket details will appear on your site then? Its the closest gig to me so prob go there instead of glasgow.